frances dot raftis at gmail dot com
||Linux (Debian, Ubuntu)
||Visual Studio 2008
- C++ - added support for textures for an XML-based 3D format, and support for a new JSON-based file format to Safe Software's FME
- Java - developed appointment book program with GUI in a team, using CVS (CPSC 211, mark: 95%), GUI sales interface for an SQL database in a team (CPSC 304, mark: 95%)
- Perl - created many applications for text parsing, data retrieval and calculations
- PHP / MySQL - created a web-based calorie-counting application
- Scheme - wrote language interpreters supporting closures, first-order functions, and type checking (CPSC 311)
- VBA - automated editing of times listed in Microsoft Word documents
- September 2007-present (expected graduation: May 2010)
- The University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Integrated Computer Science
- Statistics bridging module - Cumulative average: 90%
- Relevant courses:
- Introduction to Compiler Construction (in progress), Algorithms in Bioinformatics (in progress)
- Definition of Programming Languages, Introduction to Theory of Computing (97%)
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (95%), Introduction to Relational Databases (95%), Multivariable Calculus,
- Introduction to Probability, Finding Relationships in Data (87%)
- McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
- M.Sc. - Computational Biology and Molecular Evolution
- Supervisor: G. Brian Golding, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Biology
- Thesis: Structural Determinants of Amino Acid Replacement Rate Heterogeneity
- Explored the statistical relationship between evolutionary rates and physicochemical features of proteins,
- with emphasis on divergence between lineages.
- University of Toronto.
- Hon. B.Sc. - Molecular Plant Biology Specialist program.
- September 2008 - December 2008, May 2009 - August 2009
- Software Developer, Safe Software Inc.
- Added features and fixed a variety of bugs in a GIS application (FME) in tools related to XML and JSON formats in C++, using Visual Studio 2008.
- Added texture reading and writing to CityGML format.
- Added support for ESRI's JSON file format with no format specification available.
- Resolved problems with new XQuery functionality to meet release standards, collaborated with the resident FME 'power user' to improve XQuery tool interface, wrote tool help and XQuery samples.
- October 2006
- Scripting, The Virtual Museum of Canada.
- Learned VBA in two weeks to automate editing of Microsoft Word documents.
- September 2002 - December 2003
- Teaching Assistant, McMaster University, Department of Biology.
- Assisted students in labs and marked assignments for several courses:
- Cellular and Molecular Biology, Plant Biodiversity, and Bioinformatics.
- Learned course material shortly before teaching it.
- March 1999 - June 2000
- Private Tutor for Tutoring Works, Toronto, Ontario.
- Tutored grade 9 math and science students weekly on a one-on-one basis.
- September 2007 - November 2007
- Assembled and co-ordinated class teams for UBC Rec Day of the Longboat and Gladiator events.
- September 2003 - August 2004
- Social Convenor, Mc Master Biology Graduate Students' Society (BGSS)
- Organized Oktoberfest trip, games for annual picnic, served as Master of Ceremonies for Christmas social dance
- Marathon cycling - completed 413 km ride in under 24 hours with BC Randonneurs
- German - conversational level, three months immersion
- Visual arts - drawing, painting, sewing machine embroidery